School Closings and Delayed Openings
Berlin Borough District School Closing Number: 579The Berlin Borough School District uses multiple ways to alert parents to weather-related school closings and delayed openings. The district will use the Blackboard Communication System to alert parents to weather-related school closings and delayed openings. We will direct these calls to the contact information listed in our student information system, OnCourse.
We will not activate the system to call parents after 10:30 pm or before 5:00 am. If a decision to close or to open with a delay is made in between those times, it will be posted on the district website - www.bcsberlin.org.How do we make school closing decisions?
When severe weather affects school opening, the decision to open or close schools has a big impact on families. The following explains how school closing decisions are made and the methods we use to communicate in those situations.
The decision to open or close schools in bad weather is based on a careful analysis of all relevant factors, including:
- Road conditions in our area.
- Amount of accumulated snow and ice and whether precipitation is expected to continue.
- Road conditions in our area, as well as building conditions.
- Parking lot and sidewalk conditions.
- Temperature and wind chill.
- School closing decisions by other districts in the area.
- Information gathered from the Berlin Borough Emergency Management, county, and weather services.
Who makes the decision?
Dr. Joseph Campisi, Superintendent of Schools, makes the final decision, based on the above factors and recommendations from our administrative staff.
When is the decision made?
The decision is made by 5:00 am or earlier so we can alert our staff and parents via phone, email, BCS app, BCS FaceBook Page, and on the District Website.